Staff Continuing Education and Professional Activities
At Psychological Resources, our professional staff is committed to continued professional education.
This enables them to stay abreast with trends in their specialties, and to offer you the best therapy experience.
In addition, our staff are involved in a broad spectrum of other professional activities.
Annette Mahoney, Ph.D., Continuing Education
- In April 2015, Dr. Mahoney completed a course on "Spirituality in the Bedroom" offered by Bowning Green State University.
- In August 2014, she completed a comprehensive review of the DSM - 5.
- In August 2014, she completed a course on "Brain Basics: Understanding Sleep."
- In August 2014, she completed a course on "Ethics and Boundary Issues."
Rebecca Alperin, Ph.D., Continuing Education
2012 - 13 Continuing Education and Other Trainings
- During the spring 2013 semester, Dr. Alperin taught Psychodynamic Psychotherapy practicum to clinical psychology doctoral students at the University of Toledo.
- In January 2013, Dr. Alperin attended a training on “Revolutionizing diagnosis and treatment using the DSM-5” presented by R. Bogenberger in Toledo, Ohio.
- In January 2013, Dr. Alperin attended a training on “Medical evaluators seminar: Making substantial aggravation less aggravating, cumulative trauma injuries, essentials of a persuasive IME report, and trial testimony of the medical expert” presented by G. Denny, R. Solt, M. Barnes, and J. Matuszak in Perrysburg, Ohio.
- In February 2013, Dr. Alperin attended a training on “Stress, anxiety, and depression” presented by M. Howard in Toledo, Ohio.
- In May 2013, Dr. Alperin attended a training for DEP psychologists and psychiatrists presented by I. Overking in Toledo, Ohio.
- In October 2013, Dr. Alperin attended a training on Hot Topics in Ethics
- In November 2013, Dr. Alperin attended a training on Using the DSM-5 for Revolutionizing Diagnosis and Treatment
- In October 2014, Dr. Alperin attended a training on Maintaining Focus in Clinical Supervision
- In October 2014, Dr. Alperin attended a training on Professional Ethics
- In May 2015, Dr. Alperin attended a training on The Pharmacy in Your Kitchen
- In September 2015, Dr. Alperin attended a training on Using and Managing Social Media: Professional, Ethical and Risk Management Issues
Presentations/Publications/Courses Taught since 2010
- Alperin, R. (January-May 2013). PSY 6830/7830: Psychodynamic psychotherapy practicum. Toledo: University of Toledo.
- Over the past few years, Dr. Alperin has hosted a number of local "Your Day" talk shows covering a variety of psychological issues, sponsored by WTOL in Toledo.
Elaine Bruckner, Ph.D., Continuing Educaton
- Dr. Bruckner completed a course in the Ethics of Trauma Treatment in June 2014.
- In March 2014, she attended the ADAA Annual Conference.
- In November 2013, Dr. Bruckner attended the 17th Annual Psychiatric Sumposium held in Perrysburg, Ohio.
- 1/30/2013 - Gave presentation at Bowling Green State University, Psychology Department, on Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy of Anxiety Disorders
- 3/12/2013 - attended presentation on Relational Spirituality by Annette Mahoney, Ph.D at BGSU, Bowling Green, OH
- 3/22/2013 attended workshop on Revolutionizing Diagnosis and Treatment Using the DSM-5 by Jack Klott, MSSA, LISW in Ann Arbor, MI
Sue Casselman, Psy.D., Continuing Education
- This year, Dr. Casselman supervised two externs from the University of Toledo Clinical Psychology doctoral program as part of their practicum training in psychological evaluation, as well as individual, family and couples therapy.
Brenda Cole, Ph.D., Continuing Education
- On July 27, 2012, Dr. Cole completed an on-line course entitled Ethical Issues with Fees, billing, and Collections, an interview of Barton Bernstein, J.D., L.M.S.W., presented by Barbara Alexander, L.C.S.W., B.C.D., president of On Good Authority.
- On July 19, 2012, Dr. Cole completed an on-line course entitled Suicide Crisis Intervention Model with 25 Practical Strategies for Implementation, presented by athealthCE.com.
- On September 20, 2012, Dr. Cole attended the seminar, Couples and Affairs: Managing the clinical Challenges, presented by Michael Ceo, M.A., L.P.C., in Toledo, OH.
- On March 12, 2013, Dr. Cole attended the seminar Relational Spirituality: Advancing 21st Century Science on Faith in Diverse Families. Several researchers in the field presented at this seminar, facilitated by Annette Mahoney, Ph.D, at Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green OH.
Robert Muehleisen, Ph.D., Continuing Education
- In February 2014, Dr. Muehleisen completed continuing education entitled: Managing Risk in Everyday Practice: the Ethics of Being a Psychologist in the Real World, presented by Greg Niemeyer, PhD through the Office of Continuing Education of the American Psychological Association.
- In March 2014, Dr. Muehleisen completed training on the AMA Fifth Edition Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, sponsored by the American College of Disability Medicine, Columbus Ohio.
- In July 2014, Dr. Muehleisen completed independent study entitled: HIPAA: the Essentials, the Developments in the Future, presented by Edward Zuckerman, PhD through the CMI Education Institute.
- In August, 2013, Dr. Muehleisen attended a week-long seminar entitled “Core Tasks of Psychotherapy: What Expert Psychotherapists Do,” presented by Donald Meichenbaum, Ph.D., in Eastham, MA.
Eric R. Nicely, Ph.D., Continuing Education
- In November 2014, Dr. Nicely attended the ASMBS 31st Annual Meeting at Obesity Week held in Boston.
- In January 2014, Dr. Nicely completed the course "Assessing and Managing Risk."
- In November 2013, Dr. Nicely attended the ASMBS 30th Annual Meeting in Atlanta at Obesity Week.
- In November 2013, Dr. Nicely completed the course on "Using the DSM- for Revolutionizing Diagnosis and Treatment."
- Dr. Nicely completed the Masters Course in Behavioral Health sponsored by the American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery in Atlanta, Georgia from November 10-12, 2013.
- Dr. Nicely attended "The Care of the Bariatric Surgery Patient" conference presented by The Ohio State University Center for Minimally Invasive Surgery on August 8th and 9th.
Suzanne L. Smitley, Ph.D., Continuing Education
- 11/12: Negotiating the Complex Ethical Terrain of Supervision
APA Clinician’s Corner presentation
- 4/12: Acceptance and Commitment in Psychotherapy
Steven Hayes, Ann Arbor
- 3/13: Scared Stiff: Short-term Treatments for Anxiety
David Burns, Ann Arbor